Monday, January 10, 2011

Russian Fluff

This was Mike's request for the week. I don't think he can resist any form of meat pie! I have to be honest, I wasn't 100% sold on this one, I figured it would be one I would make later on. I don't like peas nor mushrooms so it had 2 strikes in my book from the start. But, I'm very glad I made it because it is yummy and I will make it again. It tastes better than it looks for sure!

Notes: This one is from Mrs. Ziebell

Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 onion chopped fine
1 green pepper chopped fine
1 can tomato soup
1 cup rice (uncooked)
1 can mushrooms (I used fresh mushrooms)
1 can peas,do not drain... dump the whole thing into the mix!
4 strips uncooked bacon

Procedure:

Brown ground beef and onion. Put a little oil in a pan on the stove and once hot, put the onions in to cook for about 3 minutes, then put the ground beef in to brown. I put some salt & pepper in this mix, I just can't not season meat.Once browned....
Mix together all ingredients in a large bowl, then place in casserole pan (8x8 pan works). 
Season again with a little salt & pepper.
Put bacon strips on top.
Bake until bacon strips are cooked, about 45 minutes.

Yummy. The only thing I will do differently next time is that I will not drain the peas. The small amount of water is necessary to help the rice finish cooking. We had a few bites of rice that weren't completely done. So I rectified the recipe for you guys. Enjoy!






Below is a picture of what the dish looks like uncooked and without the bacon strips on top. This if for all of you who question what the dish is suppose to look like prior to baking. Hope it helps a little. If your dish looks like this, put the bacon on top and put it in the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment