Monday, January 31, 2011

Barbecued Hamburger (Like Sloppy Joe w/ a twist)

This recipe was good although I make something similar and it's less calories so I'll stick with that one! I'll also include my recipe so you guys can decide which one you want to make. I put veggies in mine and use actual BBQ sauce. This way I don't feel so bad eating sloppy joe's, I at least get some veggies in there.  ;0)

And of course I can't follow directions exactly!! I added garlic, surprise surprise! I replaced the ground beef with ground turkey and put it on Healthy Choice sandwich bread, unbuttered. Toast the bread for texture.

The recipe called for monosodium glutamate, which I looked up on the internet because I had no idea what this was. Google responded with, MSG! Really! Do stores actually sell this? I left this out.

Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef (ground turkey)
1 onion, chopped
1/3 cup butter
1 1/2 cup catsup or chile sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp monosodium glutamate (left out)
1 tsp pepper

Procedure:

Place butter in pan, heat and saute onions for about 5 min on medium heat until just starting to brown.
Add ground beef to pan and brown.
Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Mix.
Add catsup or chile sauce. Mix and heat until hot.

Serve on buns with a little butter. Place under broiler for a few minutes - put on hamburger.

My version of BBQ hamburger:

1 lb ground turkey
1 green pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, chopped
1 tbsp garlic
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 - 1 cup Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce (depending upon how much sauce you like!)

Procedure:

Heat oil in pan on med/high heat. Throw a piece of onion in the pan to test for hotness. If it sizzles, the the oil is hot enough.
In pan, put the onion, carrot, green pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes (med/high heat).
Add the ground turkey, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt & pepper. Brown.
Once the ground turkey is cooked, add the Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, mix and heat.
Serve on buns or toast.


No comments:

Post a Comment