Friday, May 13, 2011

Gram Serafino's Sweet & Sour Sauerkraut

Mmmmm. Sauerkraut. It just reminds me so much of family because it has been a staple dish by both my Mom's side and my Dad's side. I hate to say it, but I have never made sauerkraut from either side's recipes. I made Gram's for this blog but also decided to list my other grandma, Nancy Grabiniski's recipe as well. Nancy still makes the sauerkraut come holidays and it is delicious. Yes, I called her Nancy instead of Grandma. She's not reading this so I won't tell if you won't! I'm only joking of course. Lighten up a bit, jeez.

When I made this, I doubled the recipe... for just Mike & I. When I was plating the sauerkraut, Mike was standing next to me and says, "Load up my plate. I love Sauerkraut." My response was, "And that is why I doubled the recipe." Now, he didn't take too kindly to that statement and proceed to ask me if he was a fatty!!! hahaha I totally dug myself into a hole on that one. You live and learn!

Side note, I thought that I had caraway seeds and I ended up not having them so I just went without. It was still very good and a recipe I will continue to make. Enjoy!

Gram Serafino's recipe:

Ingredients:

1 can of sauerkraut
2 tsp flour
1-2 tsp sugar
1 tsp butter
1 chopped onion
1 tsp caraway seed

Procedure:


  • Open & drain a can of sauerkraut but save the liquid.  
  • Put sauerkraut in a saucepan with half the liquid. Heat over med/high heat. 
  • Add caraway seed.
  • Chop onion.
  • Heat a frying pan on med/high heat with the butter. 
  • Saute the onions until they become clear.
  • Add sugar, flour, and 1/2 the liquid from the can of saurkraut to make a paste. 
  • Add the paste to the sauerkraut, stir very well and cook until thickened. (Simmer... means on low heat)
  • Keep watch so it doesn't stick and if it needs a little more liquid, add a little bit of water.  



    Nancy Grabinski's recipe: 
    (The recipe doesn't have proper measurements! Sigh.)

    Ingredients:

    1 can of sauerkraut
    2 tbsp flour
    1 tsp butter
    1 chopped onion
    1 small green apple
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tsp caraway seed
    1 tsp white sugar


    Procedure:
    • Boil sauerkraut for 1/2 hour with the juice that it came with. 
    • Add salt (doesn't say but I'll assume 1 tsp)
    • Add brown sugar to taste (doesn't say but I'll assume 1 tbsp)
    • Chop apple finely, almost like a mince. Chop onion.
    • Saute apple & onion in a frying pan with a tsp of butter. 
    • Add pinch of caraway seed (doesn't say but I'll assume 1 tsp)
    • Add 1/4 cup of water to the frying pan (This step is left out of the recipe but I think it belongs)
    • To thicken add one tablespoon of flour with one tablespoon sugar. 
    • Add to sauerkraut mixture and stir until incorporated. 
    • If still too sour, add a little more white sugar.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment