Sunday, April 24, 2011

Red Sauce

This is Gram Serafino's sauce. I love this sauce! Every time I make it I am reminded of Gram, Ma and my Dad. I'm sure everyone has their own variation on this sauce. My slight variation is my Dad's. We add more sugar to give it a sweeter taste. Earlier this week my Dad had asked me if I have added any more blogs since the last time he looked at it and I told him no (I'm behind!), but that I was making sauce and Manicotti. His first question was, "How are you making the sauce?" Like a good daughter, I told him that I make my sauce the same way he does so he didn't have to worry! We all know what this takes like.... Heaven.... so I'm going to just break it down. Beware this is a 2-day sauce so make sure you have time!

Ingredients:

1 - 2 lb ground beef
2 tsp sweet basil
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 Tbs parsley
1 tsp salt
1 large bay leaf
1 tsp pepper
1 - 29oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 - 18oz can tomato paste
1 tsp oregano
1 gallon water (16 cups)
3 Tbs sugar (I use one cup)

Directions - Day 1:


  • Get a LARGE pot. A sauce pan will not work. 
  • In the large pot, put the tomato paste, tomato sauce and water on high heat. Stir until paste is completely dissolved. 
  • Add bay leaf and boil. 



  • In another pan, heat about 2 Tbs olive oil on med/high. Once heated, cook the green peppers and onion until onions are translucent. 
  • Add the ground beef and brown.
  • When brown, add to the sauce mixture. 



  • When sauce is boiling hard, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 2 - 3 hours.
  • At the 1 1/2 hour mark, add the sugar and make sure you stir a lot so that it dissolves and doesn't stick to the bottom. 
  • SUGAR WILL MAKE THE POT BURN IF YOU DON'T STIR FREQUENTLY!!!


Directions - Day 2:


  • Add 1/2 tsp basil, parsley, and onion powder. Stir. 
  • Heat to a boil. 
  • Turn heat down to low and simmer for about 2 hours or so. 


Done! Use this sauce with anything!




No comments:

Post a Comment