Sunday, April 24, 2011

Manicotti

I have no words to describe this goodness!!! When I was putting together my shopping list and read over the ingredients, I was very surprised. Two of the ingredients are minced ham and minced salami. I had no idea those ingredients were in there! What do they mean by this anyways? I wasn't sure so I figured I would ask Mom and Dad before buying those items. Basically all it means is to by lunch meat salami and diced cubed ham in the package and chop them up (mince) into really small pieces.  This was the first time I've made Manicotti and it wasn't as complicated as I had anticipated... once the sauce was made that is! The hardest part is getting the ricotta mixture into the Manicotti shell. I was using a small spoon and scooping it into the shell. If anyone has a better way of doing this, I would appreciate a tip! Well, my final verdict on this one is: Beautiful! (Taking some British words from Jamie Oliver.)

Ingredients:

2 packages Manicotti shells
1 lb ricotta cheese (2 cups)
1/4 lb mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Romona cheese
1/3 cup minced ham
1/4 cup minced salami
2 eggs beaten
1 Tbs parsley
1 tsp basil
1 quart red spaghetti sauce



Directions:


  • Boil water for shells. Cook shells. You want it to cook about 3/4 of the way. You want the shell a little firm in order to hold up to inserting the Ricotta mixture. 



  • Mix all ingredients together until creamy. 
  • Fill the shells and put in a 9 x 13 pan lined with foil. (You will thank me later!)
  • Cover with Gram's sauce. (See prior blog.)
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes. In the last 5 minutes of baking, add some more mozzarella cheese & melt. 



No comments:

Post a Comment