Sunday, February 13, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Ok, so I'm cheating here. Red Velvet cupcakes are not in the recipe book. But, they are one of my favorite things to make and eat. And I make really awesome red velvet!! So in honor of Valentine's Day tomorrow, I felt I would post my recipe for those who want to make them for their sweetie! Who wouldn't want cupcakes? Now get to baking...

Ingredients:

Batter

1 1/2 (3/4 cup) butter - USE BUTTER!!! Not margarine.
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp (1 oz) liquid red food coloring
2 tsp white vinegar
2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)

Frosting

1 brick (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)  *
1/2 stick butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract

*I'm not a fan of cream cheese so I use more powdered sugar than cream cheese. I mix the two until I like the taste so feel free to experiment with the taste of the frosting.

Directions:

Heat oven to 350 degrees. You'll need 24 regular size muffin cups lined with cupcake liners.

Batter Directions:
  • In a large bowl with mixer on medium-high speed (I use my Kitchen Aid... the best thing ever!) beat butter, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and vanilla 2 minutes until creamy.
  • Beat in eggs one at a time, until blended. 
  • In a 2 cup measuring cup, stir buttermilk, food coloring and vinegar until blended. 
  • With mixer on low, beat in flour in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture in 2 additions, beating until blended. Simplified: Add 1 cup flour & mix. Pour in 1/2 buttermilk mixture & mix. Add 1 cup flour & mix. Pour the remaining buttermilk mixture & mix. Add 1/2 cup flour & mix. 
  • Spoon 1/4 cup mixture into each cupcake liner.
  • Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. 


Frosting Directions:
  • Beat cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl with mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. On low speed, add confectioner's sugar and vanilla. 
  • Increase speed to high and beat until smooth and fluffy.
  • Frost cupcakes when they are cool. 
  • Refrigerate until serving.







    No comments:

    Post a Comment