Saturday, July 23, 2011

Stuffed Tomatoes

The stuffed tomatoes recipe jumped out at me this week while browsing the table of contents. I go to page 232 and begin reading the recipe to Mike to see if we wanted to put it on the menu for the week. I get to Anchovies and said, "I don't like Anchovies, I'll just leave them out." I finish reading it and Mike said, "You won't like that at all. You don't like black olives, anchovies, or capers." He was right! Once I read it, I knew I had to adjust this recipe. Mike tells me all the time that I'm the worst Italian ever! I'm picky with cheese, I don't like olives or seafood and I'm pretty indifferent about pasta. I decided to make a Mexican version of this dish and it was fantastic! Mike said I can make this one again. Stamp of approval! The awesome thing about stuffed tomatoes is that you can pretty much fill it with anything so go ahead and experiment!


Ingredients:


Original Recipe:


6                     large tomatoes
2 Tbs             olive oil
1/2 cup          bread crumbs
1 medium     onion, chopped
1 can             Anchovies, chopped
3 tsp              parsley
salt 
pepper
1/2 cup          pitted black olives, chopped
3 Tbs             capers


My Mexican inspired recipe:


4                   large tomatoes
9 oz              Chihuahua cheese, cut into small chunks
1/3 cup         green onions, chopped
2 Tbs            olive oil
1 tsp             salt
2 tsp             pepper 
2 tsp             chili powder
                     sriracha sauce (to taste, depends on how much heat you want. Can leave out.)


Procedure:


original procedure:

  • Carve out each tomato. Set aside. 
  • Reserve the insides and chop. 
  • Add bread crumbs, onion, anchovies, parsley, capers & olives to tomato insides. 
  • Salt & pepper to taste.
  • Mix stuffing. 
  • Oil the outside of the tomatoes with olive oil.
  • Add stuffing into the carved tomatoes. 
  • Bake @ 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes.
my recipe procedure:

  • Carve out each tomato. 
  • Oil the outside of the tomatoes with olive oil.
  • Add into the tomato cheese chunks, green onions, and spices.
  • Bake @ 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, depending upon the time it takes for the cheese to melt. 







No comments:

Post a Comment