Monday, August 8, 2011

Shrimp Creole

This dish is my Aunt Karen's. Hello Aunt Karen! Both Mike and I enjoyed this dish. One of our favorite restaurants right now is Maple Tree, which is a Cajun restaurant that serves craft beer. Best of both worlds! So this dish really intrigued me and was very good. Ready for my substitutions? Of course you are. No matter how much I try, I just don't like shrimp. Cooked or not. Something about it just closes up my throat. My substitution? Chopped up pork chops. I also added a little Old Bay seasoning. Next time I make it, I'll make it hot and let it cook a little longer than 30 minutes. It didn't thicken enough and I was in a hurry. Enjoy!


Ingredients:

1            med onion, minced
2 Tbs     butter
1/2 cup  green pepper, chopped
1/4 cup  celery, diced
1            bay leaf
1 tsp      parsley
1 tsp      salt
1/8 tsp   cayenne red pepper
2 cups   water
1           6oz can tomato paste
2 cups   shrimp, cooked & cleaned (about 1 1/2 lbs) or 2 pork chops, cut into chunks

Directions:

  • In a saucepan, cook & stir onion in butter.
  • Stir in remaining ingredients, except shrimp. If making with pork, add the pork now.
  • Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes. (Cook longer if still thin)
  • Stir in shrimp, heat through. 
  • Serve over rice.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment