Saturday, July 16, 2011

Hawaiian Salad

I made this side dish for Mike's Mom's 50th surprise birthday party in Michigan over 4th of July weekend. I chose this dish because it was easy and something that I would not normally make unless going to a large party. Let me tell you, the people came out of the woodwork for her party. In true Michigan fashion, they fed the entire town! Neighbors who were having their own parties all came over to eat. 


Mike and I wouldn't just eat this all the time, actually Mike didn't even taste it. When I was deciding on what to make, I think his exact words were, "I won't eat that." I was skeptical myself. The sour cream was throwing me off, I wasn't sure how it was going taste. I made it anyways and as soon as I tasted it I was thrown back to being a kid again. I remembered eating this as a child at family functions! For those of you who are not my family reading this, my grandma had 7 boys...we have a large family. A dish like this works great for large gatherings. I haven't had it in many years and totally forgot about it. I liked it still but it's not something you can eat a lot of. This is definitely a dish that you take to a block party and the kids will love because of the sweetness and the marshmallows. 


I forgot to take a picture so I took one off the internet! It's close to what mine looked like. 


Ingredients:

1 large can fruit cocktail (14oz)
1 pkg small marshmallows
1 cup sour cream

Directions:


  • Drain fruit cocktail
  • Add fruit cocktail, marshmallows and sour cream.
  • Mix well.
  • Chill for minimum 1 hour.


No comments:

Post a Comment