Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Pizza - Rye Bread

It seems that I can't follow directions, story of my life it seems! I really wanted to make this dish, but for only Mike & I it seemed a little overkill to use the tiny rye bread squares, like the recipe states. I wasn't making this as an appetizer, which is how it is written, I wanted it to be our dinner. One of Mike's favorite food is pizza, which is not one of my favorites! Too much cheese for me. Those of you that know me pretty well know that I am VERY weird when it comes to cheese. If it's not melted, I won't eat it and I only like certain cheeses. I'm the weird one that picks off cheese from sandwiches, etc. But, making these mini pizza's were great because I loaded up the cheese on his and only a little for me. What a happy medium. Also, we love rye bread so these pizza's were different and tasty. You should make it, very easy to do!


Ingredients:

2-3 loaves snack rye break
2 sticks butter melted
1 can pizza sauce
1 can tomato paste
1 1/2 lb ground beef
3 packages shredded mozzarella
1 Tbs oregano
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp Italian seasoning

Ingredients I used:

1 loaf sandwich rye bread
1 jar of pizza sauce
a couple sprays of butter on each piece
1 cup shredded mozzarella
dried basil
minced garlic

Directions:


  • Mix pizza sauce and tomato paste together and add garlic and oregano.
  • Brush bread with butter.
  • Cover with sauce
  • Press a thin layer of meat (uncooked) on top of sauce (I'm unsure of this. Does it really cook all the way through? I would cook the meat, but that's just me. If this really works I would like to know so message me!)
  • Cover with cheese. 
  • Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.


Note: They can be made ahead of time and frozen.


Directions:

  • Heat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Lay pieces of rye bread on a cookie sheet.
  • Spray each piece with a few sprays of butter OR spread margarine butter on the bread. 
  • Spoon pizza sauce on the rye bread.
  • Top with cheese.
  • Sprinkle basil on top.
  • Bake for 15 minutes.
I also found that I LOVE Romano cheese so I threw a little on top when they were done.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment