Sunday, April 3, 2011

Blue Sugar Butter Cookies - Star Wars Style

First off, I am quite shocked that my first cookie I choose to make is a sugar cookie! They are my least favorite type. Then why did I make these? I had bought, a few months ago, Star Wars cookie cutters with the promise to Mike that I would make him these cookies. This week Mike bought me Star Wars Craft Book by Bonnie Burton and we made it a Star Wars craft weekend!! I have decided to post the pictures of our craft weekend as well so I hope you enjoy. 

The cookies are suppose to be blue, per the recipe, but I just used the batter since I had new cookie cutters to use. This recipe comes from Uncle Billy. Kinda feel like he's laughing as he watches Mike and I turning this cookie into Star Wars characters. Oh, and yes, Mike is in my kitchen helping. hehe. This one's for you Uncle Billy! 

Ingredients:

1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs
3 1/2 cup flour
1 Tbs brandy or water

For blue sugar:
1 egg white slightly beaten
1/2 cup sugar
2 to 3 drops blue sugar

Directions: 

  • In mixer (I used my Kitchen Aid), cream together butter and sugar.
  • Add salt, eggs, water (or brandy), and vanilla. Mix well.
  • Gradually add flour. One cup at a time until incorporated. 
  • Cover and chill minimum one hour. 
  • Flour a cutting board or smooth surface.
  • Roll out 1/2 the dough using floured rolling pin to it doesn't stick to the batter. About 1/8 inch thick.
  • Cut out cookies. 
  • Dip cutters in flour between cuttings. 

For Blue Sugar:
Use empty jar with cover
Add sugar and blue food coloring.
Shake until all the sugar is blue.

  • Brush cookies with egg white & sprinkle with blue sugar. 
  • Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. (10 min using my oven)

Chewbacca Tissue Box Cover:

Darth Vader Finger Puppet by Mike:

Yoda Finger Puppet by Mindy:



1 comment:

  1. i love this mindy :) you're so talented and who doesn't love a yoda star wars puppet?! oxoxo

    ReplyDelete